Re: RARA-AVIS: Sugar by Gil Brewer

From: Nathan Cain (IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 05 Jul 2009

    I picked up *Sugar* by Gil Brewer last week at a used bookstore, and I finished it this weekend. It was printed by Avon in 1959 and has never been reprinted. It's pretty typical of Brewer's work. It has a guy, in this case struggling air conditioner repairman Jess Cotton, and a bad news girl, 16-year-old Selma, who meets Cotton and gets him involved in a plot to try and recover a suitcase full of stolen money that she may or may not have gotten her boyfriend to kill her stepfather over. It moves at a breakneck pace, but the main problem is it stops so abruptly that you might get whiplash. It rolls right along until everything gets wrapped up with a neat little bow. I suspect this is an effect of either a word count limit, the speed with which Brewer worked, or a combination of the two. Overall, not a bad Brewer.