RARA-AVIS: Re: Slapstick-Silly Noir

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Jun 2009

    Charlie Williams wrote:

    >>BTW, I just looked at the cover puff of my last book and it mentions
    "satirical humour", "slapstick" and "noir". No mention of "silly" though. Maybe that's where they went wrong?<<

    To judge by current naming trends, they made the mistake of not calling it a "thriller" of some sort. Everything is thrillers these days...

    Maybe I'm weird, but for me humor is the highest form of literary art (poetry aside). But Wodehouse never did win his Nobel, nor did Twain... but lo and behold, they did give it to Dario Fo, the Italian playwright. Maybe in the theatre it's OK.

    Anyway, a funny noir does not seem an oxymoron to me, though I don't require that a noir novel be the least bit funny. I enjoy Willeford and I enjoy David Goodis's darkest, most humorless efforts.

    Best,

    mrt