RARA-AVIS: Books That Clicked Midway Through (Was Dissembling)

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 11 Jun 2009

    Kevin asked
    > Anyone read any crime novels like that? Books you weren't so crazy
    > about or just thought were okay, and then halfway through or
    > somewhere, they suddenly just clicked?
      This happened to me with the first book in Thomas Perry's Jane Whitefield series. This may have as much to do with the expectations I brought to the book as with how it started, but it really clicked midway through.

    With regards to mistaken expectations, I assumed that after the masterful Power of the Dog, Don Winslow's The Winter of Frankie Machine would be scaled back dramatically. Midway through the book I realized that it is every bit as ambitious as its predecessor.

    Chris