RARA-AVIS: CW Grafton?

From: Frederick Zackel (fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 07 Jun 2009

    Wow. Great find! Very valuable, too, in the ebay sense.

    That's Sue's dad!

    Joy Matkowski writes:

    "My great find is C. W. Grafton. /The Rat Began to Gnaw the Rope/ was in one of those dollar a bag library sales I picked up a while back. The protagonist is a general business lawyer in Kentucky circa 1940 who is handed a client worried that a corporation owner wants to pay her more than the face value of a little stock she inherited. It devolves into a real mess with the self-described short, fat lawyer getting clobbered hard and often. It's got a great plot that rushes around, it's funny in spots but not silly, and it's contemporaneous and thus realistic for the times and the place.
    "The disappointment is that he wrote only four books---I guess he was busy actually practicing law in Kentucky---but now I've got the other three still in parcels next to my desk.
    "Joy, back to work"

    Fred Zackel

    "Creepier than a Whorehouse Kiss" Plots With Ray Guns http://www.plotswithguns.com/