Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: talking tough

From: Fred Willard (fwillard@bellsouth.net)
Date: 31 May 2009

    I don't know what a tough guy is in this context.

    Edward Bunker is an example of a hard boiled writer who did time. James Ellroy also.

    I spent many years living in that environment. Never got caught. Never did time.

    Nobody with any brains goes into that world acting out the macho tough guy bit.

    First of all, everyone would laugh at you and eventually someone would throw you in a dumpster just for fun.

    Mostly, my experience was a lot of crazy humor, a lot of drinking and also people trying to help each other out in lean times.

    Calmness, I believe is respected more than phony macho tough.

    Just my thoughts.