RARA-AVIS: Crumley and Atkins

From: Tapani Bagge (tapani.bagge@armas.fi)
Date: 01 May 2009

    Hi,

    I've recently read two very good hard-boiled crime novels, The Wrong Case by James Crumley and Devil's Garden by Ace Atkins.

    The Wrong Case is Crumley's first PI novel. It shows some debt to Chandler, but to me it seems a fresh and original take on the subject. It's almost as good as The Last Good Kiss.

    Has anybody else read anything by Atkins? He's already published seven novels, but Devil's Garden is the first one for me. It's focus is on Fatty Arbuckle and the infamous Virginia Rappe case, and the main character is one Sam Hammett, a Pinkerton man. A strong novel, good atmosphere and great characters.

    Tapani Bagge