Re: RARA-AVIS: question about plot idea

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 08 Apr 2009

    And then there's the unreliable narrator variation where a detective will insert himself into an investigation of himself in order to muddy the waters and/or deal with any evidence or witnesses that are found. The reader may or may not be in on the detective's guilt. Won't give the title and ruin things, but Wade Miller did a nice job with this idea.

    Mark

    -----Original Message----- From: Jeff Vorzimmer Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 3:55 PM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: question about plot idea

    Dave,

    I believe this plot device was first used in Kenneth Fearing's novel The Big Clock, which was remade as recently as 1987 as No Way Out. Although not a detective and not really guilty of a crime, the main character is hired to find a suspect that is of course, himself. Also was that kind of the theme of the film Momento?

    Jeff