RARA-AVIS: Rogue Cop

From: James Michael Rogers (jeddak5@cox.net)
Date: 31 Mar 2009

    Greetings to all from an old time Rara Avis boy. I've missed ya.

    Almost as much as I have missed seeing the film adaptation of Wiliam McGivern's Rogue Cop. In my opinion it was McGivern's best novel, yet I had only once seen the film at around 4:00 AM after having had a snootful. Now I have it on disc and I can savor it the more.

    The novel is so hardboiled you could just about bounce bricks off of it. The movie is so good that it almost surpasses the book. It makes The Big Combo look like Brigadoon. Any other fans?

    While I'm at it , I'll say that I liked both of the Harper flicks, though I am often of two minds as to Ross Macdonald in general.

    James Rogers