RARA-AVIS: Re: Harper (1966)

From: foxbrick (foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Mar 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Gonzalo Baeza" <gbaeza@...> wrote: The movie was a solid detective flick with an excellent script by William Goldman and strong performances by Newman, Richard Wagner and the rest of the cast.

    --Robert Wagner...though I do like the notion of a cameo by the opera composer.

     I understand Newman reprised his Harper role nine years later. Who knows why it took them so long to shoot a sequel.

    --Dunno...I have the faint impression that HARPER was not quite the commercial success than such previous films as HUD and THE HUSTLER (which led Newman to desire "H" titles for his films briefly, hence the change from Archer to Harper, reportedly).

    > I am now interested in reading some Lew Archer books. I only have the Crippen & Landru collection of short stories. Would that be a good starting point or is there one title that's generally considered the best in the series?

    --The collection is an excellent starting point. As you might've already gathered, there is a healthy disagreement as to what the best Archer might be. Hell, I've at least enjoyed every one I've read, and I started with the last, THE BLUE HAMMER.

    Todd Mason