Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Horsemen

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 10 Mar 2009

    Thanks Sean, and others who replied to my question. I'm remembering more of it now, and am inspired to re-read. Thanks to libraries, because my copy seems to have disappeared from the shelf over the years.

    I was thinking that now we've gotten 2 Richlers discussed on the list, we might go for more. the protagonist of Joshua Then and Now has a father who is a thief, and I think the two of them pull off a small caper central to the plot. Solomon Gurskey is said to be inspired by the story of a prominent Canadian Jewish family somewhat similar to the history of the Kennedy's in the U.S. and Barney's Version has its hilariously murderous exploration of criminal guilt and ambiguity. Richler was a satirist. He didn't see humanity headed for any hoped-for salvation anytime soon.

    You know, Callaghan (the senior), a Hemingway protege, wrote a dandy noir novella back in the time, and Hugh Garner definitely worked in this genre. Timothy Findlay and Margaret Atwood both wrote mysteries, though I'm not sure they'd be called noir. This list goes on, but my point is that in Canada, and other countries noir, was a mainstream literary pursuit from the get-go and that it's only in the U.S., its country of origin, that it was mainly considered a pop sub-genre unworthy of serious consideration, academic or otherwise. Ironically, most mystery writers in Canada, while they sometimes use some of the noir elements, shy away from noir.

    I think Ken Harvey's writing is Canada's best current example of someone writing noir fiction accepted by the "literary" crowd. Mind you, any gathering for the purposes of discussing books can be called a crowd in Canada if at least one of the other voices isn't your own.

    Best, Kerry