Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Horsemen

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 09 Mar 2009

    Yes Sandra, I read it back in the olden days of the 70s, which explains I guess my fading memory. But the snippets that have come back to me suggest that the protagonist fantasized himself as a white-knight Mountie, a symbol perhaps of the integration of St. Urban's ghettoized Jews into mainstream Canadian society. Of course this memory might itself be a flashback from my drug-addled 60s, if only I'd inhaled, but if it is correct then it is my first memory of "horseman" being used in reference to the Mounties. Are there any other old timers out there with their wits about them still who can verify or dispute this?

    MrT: "Watch out, here come the horsemen!" sounds more like the cavalry in a John Wayne western than something anyone would say about the Mounties.

    Best, Kerry