RARA-AVIS: Re: HAND and KISS

From: Mark D. Nevins (nevins_mark@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Mar 2009

    Montois: For those of you who might be fans of Nick Cave and Bad Seeds (needless to say I am, and I have seen them live at least fifteen times from Ny to Dtw, to Chicago - at late as last october) ...what is the connection between the book and the song ( http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=kUlgN__ Jrxk) from the Let Love In album (94 I think)....?? ?

    I believe the phrase comes originally from Milton's PARADISE LOST. I have not heard the Nick Cave album (though I like some of Cave's stuff), and there's also a HELLBLAZER comic (actually, potentially a noir comic?) story that uses the title as well, but unfortunately, I have not read that so can't comment further.

    Apparently the phrase has some legs in popular culture, whether or not related to Milton's original phrase. And "Red Hand" (no Right) is used widely, from a UNICEF cause to a Northern Irish paramilitary group to, I think, a certain branch of the MAFIA(?).

    I read the Rogers novel wondering if the title would ever be explained--maybe I missed something, but I couldn't figure it out. The book does feature a severed hand (that's not a spoiler), but it's not red (other than, I suppose, if there's blood).

    Mark Nevins