Re: RARA-AVIS: No Exit Press

From: jean-pierre jacquet (jacquet@optonline.net)
Date: 05 Mar 2009

    Actually, there are quite a few mostly mediocre crime stories dealing with the bullfighting world, at least in French and somewhat popular in 50's pulp and pocket books. Also a number of graphic novels. Strictly for the aficionado. Worth mentioning is a film bio of the great Manolete, starring Adrian Brody and Penelope Cruz, said Manolete being the most tragic figure of the bullfighting world, a terribly tormented figure, more at ease in the bullring than outside: a man in love with dearh, stuck with a mistress in love with life and the man's fortune. Bullfighting is usually ridiculed in many parts of the world, based largely on caricatures in films. As noted in a piece on the Manolete movie, "past American films like the 1915 “Carmen” or the 1941 “Blood and Sand” have featured matadors barely more complex than those in cartoons like “Picador Porky”: the role is usually a caricature of Spanish masculine bravery. To be fair, Spain itself has long encouraged the image. Especially during Franco’s dictatorship, the government routinely marketed the country abroad through a couple of stock characters — the passionate flamenco dancer and the stoic bullfighter — and distracted Spaniards from their society’s repression and economic misery by promoting matadors and movie stars as cultural heroes. (Even Pedro Almodóvar played with the archetype in his early film “Matador.”) I happen to feel that many of Pedro Almodovar's films are pretty noirish. jpj

    On Mar 4, 2009, at 6:59 PM, jacquesdebierue wrote:

    > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, jean-pierre jacquet
    > <jacquet@...> wrote:
    > >
    > > I loved Toros & Torsos as well. And ditto for Dominguin.
    > > jpj
    >
    > Hardboiled toros, LOL. And you guys have one guy who has restored my
    > faith in the art: Sebastian Castella. Actually, the world of
    > bullfighting should be prime for hardboiled stories. Kind of like
    > boxing, but in a very different culture.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > mrt

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional