RARA-AVIS: Re: Best noir novel (was Red Right Hand)

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 03 Mar 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Nevins" <nevins_mark@...> wrote:

    > As a relative newbie I'll have to read more noir to cast my vote,
    because right now DOUBLE INDEMNITY stands alone--I can't think of another to put next to it. The novel is so lean and tight, and while I had seen the film several times NOTHING could have prepared me for that ending. Stunning, terrifying--nothing like it anywhere I've ever seen, and in the hands of almost any other writer that ending would have been corny rather than utterly blood-chilling.

    I agree completely about your sentiments for Double Indemnity, the ending is absolutely chilling. Postman, Serenade, also great books.

    For modern noir, going back no more than 10 years, I'd say Robbie's Wife by Russell Hill. Going back a little further, How the Dead Live by Derek Raymond, although I could make a case for any of the first four of his factory series books.

    --Dave