RARA-AVIS: Crime fiction around the world (was Re: Bloom and Shakespeare)

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Mar 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Mark Sullivan <DJ-Anonyme@...> wrote:

    > The glimpses I get here of the non-English speaking world's crime
    fiction make me very sorry I'm monolingual.

    Unfortunately, it extends to all literature, not just crime fiction. Sometimes a guy you've never heard of wins a Nobel prize and then they translate the stuff, and wow, where was this guy hiding? (Mahfouz, Pamuk, for example.) He wasn't hiding, just not available or even if some works were available, little read and discussed.

    The phenomenon of intentional hiding in Spain when it comes to Catalan writers is equivalent to the US establishment ignoring Southern writers, say, thus completely distorting the view that the public would have. Iin the case of the Catalans, yes, it's in a different language, but the Spanish megapublishers translate huge numbers of titles from all languages into Spanish, so... well, it's intentional. This sort of thing reveals all sorts of fissures that you would not guess at from abroad, where the kingdom is seen as one and whole, whereas it's a bunch of nations kind of held together by hot air.

    But enough of this, let's get back to our subjects.

    Best,

    mrt