RARA-AVIS: Re: Review of Joe Gores', *Spade and Archer"

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 07 Feb 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Joy Matkowski" <jmatkowski1@...> wrote:

    > I believed "that Nero Wolfe was ever a lithe mountain lad from
    Montenegro."
    > Joy
    >
    > jacquesdebierue wrote:
    > > Ouch... I had a feeling that the book was going to be panned this way.
    > > And I haven't even read the book. I look forward to reading it and
    > > drawing my own conclusions about it.

    I had no problem with that either, however as much as I liked the these series written by the original authors I could never get into the Robert Goldsborough Wolfe books, or the Lin Carter/L. Sprague Camp Conan books, John Gardner James Bond books, Robert Parker's Poodle Springs. Outside of Max Collins finishing up Dead Street, I can't think of any series that was taken over by a different author that I cared for.

    Btw. if I could've taken over the Nero Wolfe series, I would have had the books narrated by Wolfe--a losing battle trying to compete with Stout's voice and have Archie keep narrating them.

    --Dave