Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammett: How he made it new?

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Jan 2009

    We've been down this road before, but I think it is anything but clear that Spade "loves" Brigid O'Shaughnessey. He knows she's lying to him from the moment he meets her. He knows she uses her sex to get what she wants from men... and that those men die. I do think Brigid loves Sam Spade, but Spade knew Brigid killed Miles Archer the moment he heard he was dead. Miles was just dumb enough to go down that ally with her. His romance with Brigid is a trap for her.

    As to Holmes love a justice, the justice he loves is his own. In how many stories, starting with The Sign of Four, does he unmask a murderer only to allow him to go free because he, Holmes, determines the murder is justified? This is a recurring theme in Doyle's stories, and while we may agree with him in those cases, I would hardly call that love of justice. Megalomania is more like it.

    Patrick King
    --- On Wed, 1/28/09, gsp.schoo@MOT.com <gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com> wrote: From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com <gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com> Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammett: How he made it new? To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 3:11 PM

                Yes, I'm mostly with Nathan on this one, though I think you might have started your course with a selection from Sherlock Holmes. It's hard to establish firsts in any art, but Spade is still one of the least sentimental characters in detective fiction. It is somewhat ironic that this self-serving, nasty piece of work has been so romanticized by fans and immitators. Spade certainly had no trouble attracting women even in the book.

    He's screwing Archer's wife when the novel opens, neither of whom he appears to care for but if he doesn't solve Archer's murder it will be bad for the business they operated together, and upon which Spade still depends for his livlihood, his survival. That's the ONLY reason he investigates. What's bad for business is bad for Spade, is his "code". He's not motivated by romantic stories of Knights and missing works of art, "the stuff dreams are made of."

    The cops are depicted as unrealiably corrupt and sentimental. So much for the justice system. The only person he appears to trust and treat hospitably is the one woman with whom he maintains a straightforward business relationship, his secretary. Near the end of the novel Spade provides a Letterman-like list for why he will turn in Brigid O'Shaughnessey, the woman he clearly loves, for Archer's murder. Essentially they are an indictment against acting on romantic emotions.

    I don't know whether Hammett thought this good or bad but it was certainly a major part of the zeit geist of the time, when faith in government (justice) or church (love) could very likely have put you in a cold, flooded, vermin-ridden trench somewhere in Europe surrounded by a bunch of dead friends. Since the war people had invested their hopes largely in the stock market. With the crash looming it was, as Nathan says, a time not unlike our own recent history when government was still largely regarded by definition as less capable than the self-regulating market.

    Though coldly analytical, and in a nation of shopkeepers, Holmes had attachments to notions of justice, country and empire. If he were truly hardboiled, that old sentimentalist Watson could never have lived with him. Mike Hammer was hardboiled but positively romantic when it came to affairs of the hand gun and big-breasted babes. His sentimental code was primarily about justice served. For Spade it was just business. He's more akin to Richard Stark's Parker than the private detectives who preceded or followed.

    My deflated 2 cents worth,

    Kerry