RARA-AVIS: Re: Sorry

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Juri Nummelin"
    <juri.nummelin@...> wrote:

    > Sorry, Mr. T, I didn't read carefully enough what you said about
    Auster. And
    > I didn't look at the list. Aren't they always too arbitrary? (If one
    would
    > really want to do the list of 100 best crime novels, one should at
    least
    > make different lists for different genres: 100 best hardboiled, 100
    best
    > cozies, 100 best police procedurals etc. [One just would have to
    make up
    > one's mind about what's hardboiled.])

    Well, sure, lists are tricky. And if you invoke "crime fiction", pretty much anything goes. Hardboiled is probably the easiest to define uncontroversially. If you say "hardboiled crime fiction", the territory is the familiar one that we discuss here. And then there are
    "mysteries"...

    Best,

    mrt