Re: RARA-AVIS: ...things said...

From: sonny (sforstater@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Jan 2009

    oh, good. thanks for clearin it up for me.

    off topic even more, with the mlk, jr. holiday and then obama inauguration, man did i see/hear racist humor (some funny to me, some not).

    to bring it around to topic slightly, when is a racist (or sexist or violent etc) character/narrator 'allowed'? always? only if it works (it's funny and meant to be; it's disgusting and meant to be, etc)?

    is everything allowed in the cause of art, entertainment? is it simply good or bad, something that works overall or not?

    do the real feelings of the author matter? if a 'liberal' or p.c. person uses characters and behavior that are repellent, is that different than if a virulent racist, homophobic, author does the same, everything else being equal?