Re: RARA-AVIS:1,00 BEST CRIME NOVELS

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Steve Novak <Cinefrog@...> wrote:

    > Do we detect a litlle bias against Auster there...or are we about to
    > re-ignate the ŒAuster-is-noir¹ controversy...?
    >
    > ...but..²on n¹est jamais prophète en son pays²...of course...and the
    fact
    > that Auster is quoted in a list in the Guardian is therefore logical...
    >
    > ????

    It was not a judgment on Auster but merely a classificatory comment. I would never include him in such a list. He's a technical writer, a fluent writer, but not really a storyteller like crime literature pros. This is not the place to discuss his work, but I do think he is overrated by the critics. More technique than substance.

    Best,

    mrt