RARA-AVIS: The Hard-Boiled Classics

From: Harry Joseph Lerner (harry.joseph.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca)
Date: 14 Jan 2009

    ________________________________________ From: Harry Joseph Lerner Sent: January 11, 2009 6:04 PM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: RE: RARA-AVIS: The Hard-Boiled Classics

    Regarding the importance of short stories, I think the same could be said for Whitfield. Both his Jo Gar stories and his 'Rainbow Murders' series are worth a look. I still hold out hope that the latter will see the light of day again as a stand alone novelette, but only time will tell!

    Best, Harry
    ________________________________________ From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net [DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net] Sent: January 10, 2009 9:16 PM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: The Hard-Boiled Classics

    Mark wrote:

    "As far as I can tell, however, no Hammett character appears in more than one book, . . ."

    Well, actually, the Continental Op is in two, The Dain Curse and Red Harvest, three if you include Big Knockover. That said, I don't think it's necessary to read them in order, and I'm kind of anal about that kind of thing.

    One other thing, I far prefer novels to short stories, but I think you'd be missing a lot if you don't add Hammett and Chandler's short stories to your reading list.

    Mark