RARA-AVIS: Re: The Hard-Boiled Classics

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Jan 2009

    I see no reason to read Chandler's or Hammett's works in chronological order. And yes, I do think Chandler is hardboiled. His sense of humor does not detract from the hardboiledness of characters and situations. What I value the most by Chandler are his short stories and The Long Goodbye, but it's all good stuff, rereadable as many times as you want. I am considerable less fond of Paul Cain and not fond at all of Carroll John Daly. Besides Whitfield, you might want to try Nebel and Norbert Davis, two very different contemporaries of Hammett and Chandler.

    Best,

    mrt