Re: RARA-AVIS: Piccirilli (was: Re: Jack O'Connell's top 10 books of 2008)

From: Sandra Ruttan (sandraruttan@gmail.com)
Date: 09 Jan 2009

    I also read it not realizing it was the start of a series, so some of these thoughts have come long after the fact, and made me take a second look at the book. I am curious. I liked Chase. I hope it doesn't falter on the motivations and unresolved revenge issues.

    It is a balancing act to deal with series characters who are quite messed up. It's something I've had to consider a lot recently, for my new book, so it may also be affecting my thinking. I know I put a lot of pressure on myself to make sure the motivations are believable, and that the emotional issues are addressed and brought to a logical resolution, or left unresolved if that's what's most likely in the scenario, and it may be one of those things that has become such a sticking point for me in my own work that it jumps out at me when I'm reading. In the case of Chase, I'm not sure how I would pull it off, so I'm quite curious to see how Pic will handle it.

    Cheers, Sandra

    --
    THE FRAILTY OF FLESH Nov 08 Dorchester
    LULLABY FOR THE NAMELESS Dec 09 Dorchester