Re: RARA-AVIS: The Noir of which we speak ... SMALL CRIMES,

From: Nathan Cain (IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 09 Jan 2009

    The brilliance of Small Crimes rests, in large part, on the fact that Zeltserman turned Thompson's Killer Inside Me inside out. With Lou Ford you got a bad man on the inside and a good guy on the outside who fools all those around him. With Joe Denton you get a bad guy on the outside who spends his time and energy trying to fool himself in his own mind even when he can't fool anyone else. And let me say, while I'm on the subject, that I think Zeltserman made excellent use of first-person narration, which I think is generally overused.