Re: RARA-AVIS: The Noir of which we speak ... SMALL CRIMES,

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

    > Jack wrote:
    >
    > "The one difference from most noir is that in this book, at least to me,
    > we see man who tries to do the right thing from the beginning--but he is
    > still screwed."
    >
    > Jack, do you really think he "tries to do the right thing"? Seemed to
    > me there was a pretty big divide between the rationalizations he made
    > for his actions and the actions themselves.

    And not to get too philosophical, you can also "do the right thing" for the wrong reasons. For example, out of selfishness or seeking profit or an advantage. Right thing out of not right motive = bad karma. You ain't fooling anybody, though you may get a thank you card. Than you cards that are not heartfelt = bad karma.

    Best,

    mrt