RARA-AVIS: Re: Urban Fiction

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Thornton"
    <bthorntonwriter@...> wrote:

    > Mark-
    >
    > I take your general point, but I just have to chime in here as
    someone who
    > likes HB/Noir and reads it, both the old and the new, that I don't
    see where
    > an interest in the literature in general connotes some sort of
    acceptance of
    > that sub-set's canon "en toto."
    >
    > After all, I'm a huge fan of Hammett, Chandler, MacDonald, Connelly
    (took me
    > a while to get past CITY OF BONES, but I managed to), Bruen, Starr,
    Guthrie,
    > Swiercynski, Prather, Dan J. Marlowe, Holmes, Cain, Woolrich, et.
    a;., but
    > that doesn't mean that I'm going to like all of it, or think its
    "equally
    > valid" as literature, even if I don't get it.

    Well, no doubt it's all valid, but the question for the reader is whether it's good. How could a novel or story not be valid?

    > I find Spillane unreadable (Doherty and I have fought this battle,
    no need
    > to go over that ground again, Jim), Daly to be laughable, and
    several others
    > mostly forgettable.

    Spillane has inspired action scenes, though. He had technique. His characters evoke no sympathy in me, though, and I find them shallow.

    > On the other hand, good for the authors of "urban" niche fiction for
    finding
    > a receptive audience, and being able to make some money doing it. That
    > doesn't mean that their stuff is on a level commensurate with that
    of even
    > HOW STELLA GOT HER GROOVE BACK, THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, or for that
    matter,
    > anything by the prodigiously talented Toni Morrison.

    If they're not better than Toni Morrison, I doubt they'll capture me as a reader... I was thinking along the lines of some Elmore Leonard of street lit. I would be very interested in that, an internal view with some distance and humor.

    Best,

    mrt