RARA-AVIS: Re: Donald Westlake and the origin of Parker

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Jan 2009

    I wasn't saying that Hemingway was not a great writer but that, in my opinion, Leonard's body of work considerably surpasses Hemingway's in quality. As to Sherwood Anderson, he was marvellous.... and today, hardly anybody reads him. Same with Ring Lardner, one of my overall favorite authors regardless of genre. Leonard's ear is on the level of Lardner's, that is, sensationally accurate. Hemingway didn't have that kind of ear, his dialogues are not believable. He hit a peak with The Sun Also Rises, whose emotional impact is not diminished many decades later.

    Best,

    mrt