RARA-AVIS: Re: Donald Westlake and the origin of Parker

From: Richard Moore (moorich@aol.com)
Date: 06 Jan 2009

    There is this Hammett reference in the TAD interview from 1988 when DeAndrea asked him "What were your main influences?"

    Westlake: I started out writing everything--science fiction, mysteries, writing westerns, writing slices of life, you name it. You tend to go where they like you. Mystery wroties are what got published. science fiction, too, but mystery stories mostly. I didn't know that much about mysteries when I started. The writer I thought was the most wonderful was Hammett. And in the first two books in particular, I was really coming off Hammett. He was the tree I was climbing. the second one, Killing Time, I thought was a failure. I thought it was overwrought, that it tried to hard.

    The first "coming off Hammett" novel--and the first novel published under his own name--was The Mercenaries.

    Richard Moore