RARA-AVIS: Re: Donald Westlake, An Appreciation

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 03 Jan 2009

    Rara Avians showed their appreciation last year by ranking Donald Westlake #5 in my poll for all-time greatest crime writers.

    I think I was 14 when I read my first Westlake, The Spy in the Ointment. After that I was taking out every Westlake book I could from the library. Hell, I might've even been reading his Alan Marshall books back then from my dad's private stash of paperbacks.

    One of the true great writers, and it's hard to imagine anyone duplicating his production and diversity, at least anywhere near the quality that he wrote at. The man set bar impossibly high, which both writers and readers are eternally grateful for.

    --Dave