Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Donald E. Westlake, Mystery Writer, Is Dead at 75 (NYT obituary)

From: Steve Gerlach (stezzariffic@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Jan 2009

    Such sad news to begin 2009.

    When an author like Westlake leaves us, it's always a multiple blow, as not only do we lose Westlake, we lose Stark and Parker and Dortmunder... etc etc. They die with him.

    Damn it, just not fair. Our thoughts are with his family.

    Steve

    ________________________________ From: poversier <poversier@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday, 2 January, 2009 12:13:52 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Donald E. Westlake, Mystery Writer, Is Dead at 75 (NYT obituary)

    bad deal

    --- In rara-avis-l@ yahoogroups. com, "foxbrick" <foxbrick@.. .> wrote:

    > January 2, 2009
    > Donald E. Westlake, Mystery Writer, Is Dead at 75
    > By JENNIFER 8. LEE
    >
    > Donald E. Westlake, a prolific, award-winning mystery novelist who
    > pounded out more than 100 books and five screenplays on manual
    > typewriters during his half-century career, died Wednesday night.
    He
    > was 75.
    >
    > Mr. Westlake collapsed, apparently from a heart attack, as he
    headed
    > out to New Year's Eve dinner while on vacation in San Tancho,
    > Mexico, said his wife, Abigail Westlake.
    >
    > Mr. Westlake, considered one of the most successful and versatile
    > mystery writers in the United States, has earned three Edgar
    Awards,
    > an Academy Award nomination for screenplay writing, and the elite
    > title of Grand Master from the Mystery Writers of America in 1993.
    >
    > Since his first novel, "The Mercenaries, " was published by Random
    > House in 1960, Mr. Westlake has written under his own name and
    > several pseudonyms, including Richard Stark, Tucker Coe, Samuel
    Holt

          Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/smarterinbox