RARA-AVIS: Ross Thomas and the movie "Hammett"

From: Richard Moore (moorich@aol.com)
Date: 15 Dec 2008

    I found the article I mentioned below--"'Vee Vere Young Then': The Filming of Hammett, An Interview with Joe Gores and Ross Thomas by Brian Garfield" in the Spring 1984 issue of The Armchair Detective. The dialect used in the title is in mocking tribute to the director Wim Wenders. I don't know if the article has ever been reprinted but it should be. It is a great piece. I will hit a few highlights but there's much more to enjoy in the complete article.

    The trek from the 1975 novel HAMMETT to the released movie took nearly seven years. Garfield had several sessions with Gores and Thomas about their experiences and eventually taped a final session with them on January 10, 1984. Joe Gores did the first five drafts of the screenplay, the last three in painful collaboration with Wim Wenders.
     Then Tom Pope was hired and did two drafts, followed by Dennis O'Flaherty, before Ross Thomas was hired.

    Thomas said he was called about 1977 or 78 and asked if he would be interested in polishing some dialogue. He said "sure" but heard nothing more until 1980. Thomas then received a call from producer Fred Roos who asked the writer to meet with him and Lucy Fisher, who was in charge of production at Zoetrope. At this point 80 percent of the movie had been shot by Wenders and they ran it for Thomas. He told Garfield that other than a few lines cribbed from THE MALTESE FALCON (which would have to be cut) "…it bore little resemblance to Hammett or to Joe's novel or to any other thing I'd ever seen." He told the two executives "Well, you've got trouble."

    The executives told Thomas "What we'd like you to do, we'd like a beginning and an end, see, and then we can use all this in the middle.
     What we really want are bookends." As the movie was already over budget, they were anxious to save the footage that Wenders had shot. Because of attention being paid to other productions, no one from Coppola on down had viewed any of the footage until recently. Thomas told them it might be feasible but some new footage for the middle would have to be shot. They asked him to return in a few days when Coppola would be available to talk. Eventually, Thomas returned and met with Coppola and about 15 other people in a session that was taped with a transcript later delivered to all parties.

    After a lot more back and forth that I will skip for brevity's sake, the people at Zoetrope became quite enthusiastic and asked Thomas to do another screenplay and even asked if he wanted to be "writer in residence at Zoetrope" (which died a quick death a few days later due to the financial troubles at the studio).

    Skipping ahead, the movie seemed to be shut down but after a
    "filmstrip" (based on Thomas' script)done by legendary director Sam Fuller and a few actors was put on video and impressed Coppola, the movie was on again. I knew Fuller had a cameo in the film and that he was a pal of Wenders from reading Fuller's book but I didn't recall the deeper involvement from my ready of this article many years ago. The video was important because according to the article Coppola never read anything and this was the best way to communicate with him.

    New financing was provided by Orion and they were re-shooting almost the entire picture. A key role played by Brian Keith was cut and re-shot with Peter Boyle in the role. Coppola wanted Thomas "…to keep the actors on the lines, to keep them from straying off." Thomas hung around the set but was one day thrown out after Forrest blew up. In a meeting later with Coppola, Forrest explained, "You know what Ross does, don't you? He takes off his glasses and sighs. Every time we get through sayin' the words, he takes off his glasses and sighs."

    Coppola informs Forrest and the rest of the group that he really likes the script but more importantly (he says with great emphasis) "…The Chase Manhattan BANK likes this script!"

    They go back to finish the shooting and Thomas says he didn't think anyone interfered with them after that. "I know I didn't."

    Thomas thought the finished movie was "awful—but not as awful as it was." Gore thought it came out as a "pretty good "B" picture and Garfield said that in that vein he thought "it is an enjoyable one."

    Garfield offers a bit more detailed critique that I found quite interesting. He faults the casting of Forrest who lacked magnetism as well as Wenders style which constantly reminds the viewer they are watching a movie. But he also says that Joe Gore's straight ahead story telling didn't blend well with Thomas' incisive humor.

    One last bit that I found hilarious—Gores says in one of the early scripts that he read Hammett is having his shoes shined by a black kid and then suddenly looks at the kid and says "Spade! Sure!" And thus was his detective named Sam Spade.

    Now I need to see the movie again. One thing I want to watch for that I missed the first time is the small role Ross Thomas played as a corrupt politician.

    Richard Moore

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Moore" <moorich@...> wrote:

    > Ross Thomas also worked on the adaptation by Wenders of Joe Gores'
    > novel HAMMETT, which was an interesting failure as a film. Somewhere
    > I have read a transcript of a round robin discussion by the writers on
    > that movie. If I can find it, I'll provide more details. If my
    > memory serves, Thomas came in late in the process.
    >
    > Richard Moore
    >
    > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Vantheman@ wrote:
    > >
    > > Mark amazing recall there. Ross Thomas did write an episode of
    > Simon and
    > > Simon
    > >

    > > In a message dated 12/14/2008 7:54:01 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
    > > DJ-Anonyme@ writes:
    > >

    > > I seem to remember hearing Thomas did some TV script doctoring, too.
    > > Seems to me I remember a Mickey Mouse Gang in some show (Simon &
    Simon,