RARA-AVIS: Re: Favorite 2008 Books?

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Nov 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "cptpipes2000" <cptpipes@...> wrote:

    > Anyone up for cussin' and discussin' our favorite books of 2008? I
    really liked (in
    > chronological order) Gas City by Loren Estleman, Salt River by James
    Sallis, Lush Life by
    > Richard Price, Money Shot by Christa Faust, Cross by Ken Bruen,
    City of Thieves by David
    > Benioff, Empty Ever After by Reed Farrell Coleman, The Turnaround by
    George Pelecanos, The
    > Ancient Rain by Domenic Stansberry, The Dawn Patrol by Don Winslow,
    Master of the Delta by
    > Thomas H. Cook, Severance Package by Duane Swierczynski, The Brass
    Verdict by Michael
    > Connelly and The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. ( may remember a few I
    forgot and will add
    > them if I do).

    I have the Winslow, as yet unread. And likewise, I have yet to get into Farrell Coleman, much praised here. One that I enjoyed enormously
    (I don't remember if it's strictly 2008) is Sara Gran's _Dope_. I have two other books by her in the pipeline.

    Too many good books and authors... I can't keep up. My problem is that I can't read fiction back to back. I read a lot of nonfiction. I inserted a rereading of Karl Polanyi's _The Great Transformation_ between two noir books... that is a big insert that led to collateral reading. It's hopeless, a happy hopeless.

    Best,

    mrt