RARA-AVIS: Re: Hard Case Crime series

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Nov 2008

    T,

    Re your comment below:

    "Musicians, on the other hand, have had to resort to the old method of giving concerts, living off of that. Writers don't have that option."

    Actually, many public libraries pay professional writers to make appearances and give talks, a rough equivalent to a composer/musician giving a concert.

    There have been years when the bulk of what I report as my "writing income" has actually been speaker's fees at libraries orsimilar venues, rather than payment for stories, articles, or books. I suspect that this is true for a lot of people who, like me, write on the side while pursuing another profession full-time.

    This is not precisely the same as the royalty that the Mad Russian speaks of, but it is a source of income that libraries make available to writers.

    JIM DOHERTY