RARA-AVIS: Re: Hard Case Crime series

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Nov 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "davezeltserman" <davezelt@...> wrote:

    > Libraries allow you to take out music CDS + dvds/videos also. I think
    > all in all they're good for authors, and you would probably have more
    > authors complaining about Amazon selling used books side-by-side with
    > new books than about libraries.

    I'm talking about radio and television broadcasting and about showing movies publicly. You have to pay. And if you play somebody's song with your band, you have to pay. as long as it's in copyright.

    If I read somebody's novel in its entirety over the air on the radio, or if I put my reading of it on the Internet, I would very likely have to pay to do it. But someone can go to the public library and read it and the author gets nothing.

    And a direct comparison: if you wanted put the text of a copyrighted book on the Internet for anyone to read, you would not be allowed to do it. But the library is allowed to do it, etc.

    Very tricky subject...

    Best,

    mrt