RARA-AVIS: Re: DONALD GOINES

From: lewis1574 (stevelewis62@cox.net)
Date: 22 Nov 2008

    John

    Looking at the dates of Goines' books, I don't see that a lot of them necessarily came out after his death.

    Goines died in October 1974. The five Al C. Clark books came out in the two-year period between 1974 and 1975, but only one of them, Kenyatta's Last Hit, in 1975.

    Of the five books that came out under Goines' own name in 1974-75, only one, Inner City Hoodlum, was published in 1975.

    Which is not to say that your supposition is wrong, but your basic premise doesn't seem to match up with the facts.

    Here's a list (from Hubin's CRIME FICTION IV) of Gaines' last 10 books:

    # Daddy Cool (n.) Holloway 1974 [Detroit, MI]
    # Eldorado Red (n.) Holloway 1974 [Detroit, MI]
    # Never Die Alone (n.) Holloway 1974
    # Swamp Man (n.) Holloway 1974 [U.S. South]
    # Inner City Hoodlum (n.) Holloway 1975 [Los Angeles, CA]
    # Crime Partners (n.) Holloway 1995; See: Holloway, 1974 as by Al C. Clark.
    # Death List (n.) Holloway 1995; See: Holloway, 1974 as by Al C. Clark.
    # Kenyatta's Escape (n.) Holloway 1995; See: Holloway, 1974 as by Al C. Clark.
    # Cry Revenge! (n.) Holloway 1996; See: Holloway, 1974 as by Al C. Clark.
    # Kenyatta's Last Hit (n.) Holloway 1996; See: Holloway, 1975 as by Al C. Clark.

        Best

         Steve