RARA-AVIS: New list for vintage paperback collecting...

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 20 Nov 2008

    Mario has graciously allowed me to post this...thanks, Mario.

    A member of PulpMags (not me) has started a new list about collecting vintage paperback originals. I'll quote a few points from his email: ". . . a new discussion group like PulpMags but devoted to vintage paperbacks . .
    .if you're interested in talking about Ace Doubles, Dell Mapbacks, L.A. Bantams, Gold Medals, Armed Service Editions, and all the other great old paperbacks, come on over . . . the focus is on *vintage paperbacks* and not on the other areas of collecting that many of us also share. That doesn't mean that those other things can't be talked about on VinPbks, but let's dance with the date that brung us and keep the focus in mind . . . information and announcements of paperback-related events to be announced here. . . Art exhibits? Anything related to the world of paperbacks? We want to know about it." He specifically asked that if anyone was on Rara-Avis would they please post the announcement here.

    I figured there were others here on RA beside me for which this might be of significant interest, so I'm following up on his request. Rara-Avis addresses pbos frequently, but the discussion scope is more often larger than that. This would look to be a nice supplement to have a tight focus Group on the collecting of pbos. I've no idea if this Group will ultimately turn out to be of value or not -- though I certainly hope so -- but I'm glad someone picked up the torch to at least try.

    Here's his email/invitation:

    Anyone here interested in vintage paperback collecting? I've just started a new YaHoo!Group devoted to that topic and you're invited to join.

    It's a new discussion group like PulpMags but devoted to vintage paperbacks. I created it tonight and if you're interested in talking about Ace Doubles, Dell Mapbacks, L.A. Bantams, Gold Medals, Armed Service Editions, and all the other great old paperbacks, come on over and help create a new forum for fans and collectors of Vintage Paperbacks. Here's the link:

    and you know what to do from there. I've set the group to Moderated status so I'll have to manually approve each membership so it might take up to 24 hours for me to get back to the computer to do that.

    I'd like to ask you all for suggections about what should be done differently over there than is done here in PulpMags (and please make those suggestions in VintagePaperbacks or to me privately as you prefer) and I could use the following:

    * scans of some really great paperbacks to use for the homepage
    (please include discriptive info and any neat personal discription that you might care to have posted there on the homepage)

    * links of interest to paperback fans and collectors for our links section.

    * plenty of good postings from each of you to get the new group off to a great start.

    Can someone copy this announcement to the Rara-Avis group, the Westernpulps list, and any other groups where it would be appropriate? (I'll make an announcement to Fictionmags, Trufen, SFC, the OAK list, and a few others tomorrow.) In forwarding this message, please remember that the focus is on *vintage paperbacks* and not on the other areas of collecting that many of us also share. That doesn't mean that those other things can't be talked about on VinPbks, but let's dance with the date that brung us and keep the focus in mind.

    I'd also like to invite as many professionals of the vintage paperback era as possible to join the new group. Authors, artists, and publishing & distributing professionals. All might have stories to share and old friends to catch up with. If you know of any such people - or if you *are* such people - please send me e-mail addresses and names so that I can send out personal invitations. And please send all addresses and any personal info to me privately at Absarka_prime@comcast.net . I'll keep all such info private.

    Please also post or send in any information and announcements of paperback-related events to be announced here. LAPB show, etc. Are there other such pbk shows anywhere? Art exhibits? Anything related to the world of paperbacks? We want to know about it.

    Curt Phillips