Re: RARA-AVIS: Fast One

From: chacharat2002 (decliningreturns@gmail.com)
Date: 18 Nov 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "J.C. Hocking" <jchocking@...> wrote:
    -I think possibly Norbert Davis may be a little more in favor(name recognition) because Fred Nebel in his 1930's Cardigan and other stories generally ended up with a 35 page or so novelette--which is not a popular length story apparently with anthologists. Davis had shorter stories which ran into the early 1940's, but I have heard little about his popularity except based on his 2 series: Max Latin and Doan and Carstairs. Both of these series are very good and motivated me to seek all his stories--to find out that they are a level or so below the 2 noted series. Nebel has several advocates among serious collectors of pulps as being one of the very best authors of the period.
    -I am still trying to get 1 Nebel story("Scrambled Murder" 7/15/1933 Dime Detective); if anyone has a pnotocopy and wishes to trade for other Nebel stories please let me know. Ken

    > Yikes, I see the Davis on sale for 60 bucks and more.
    > Yet the Nebel collection can still be had for about cover price.
    > Is Davis that much more collectable? Must be. Go figure.
    >
    > The Crippen & Landru anthologies of Davis, Nebel and Cain (14
    Slayers is correct) can be found at the bottom of their list of forthcoming titles.
    > Here...
    >
    > http://www.crippenlandru.com/upcoming.php
    >
    > They sound wonderful. But they've been sounding that way for
    several years now without ever actually getting published.