Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Best Hardboiled/Noir stories in AHMM/EQMM?

From: Brian Thornton (bthorntonwriter@gmail.com)
Date: 18 Nov 2008

    On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:49 AM, jacquesdebierue <jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com
    > wrote:

    > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com <rara-avis-l%40yahoogroups.com>,
    > "Brian Thornton"
    >
    > <bthorntonwriter@...> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I'm pretty sure I used "damn" and "hell" a couple of times in "Suicide
    > >> Blonde," definitely hard-boiled, and recently published by AHMM in their
    > >> November, 2008 issue.
    > >>

    > >Damn, my turn with the coffee! And I look forward to reading this
    > >issue, of course. I am about three issues behind in my reading. I
    > >usually read them cover to cover.

    I'd welcome any feedback you'd care to give on it. mrt. I think it goes without saying (or ought to) that your voice carries some weight (your recommendations go a long way with me).

    About the story itself: it's a period piece about a mob-connected lawyer who works as a 'fixer" in 1962 Vegas, and is stuck baby-sitting the "Billy Carter"-type older brother of the local boss. I think it might be my best piece of work so far, and I am both proud of it and humbled by Linda Landrigan's willingness to take a second look at it (I'd sent her a previous draft, on which she'd passed). It's my second AHMM story, and I was thrilled to have it placed in the Bouchercon issue.

    All the Best-

    Brian