Re: "Grimly Existential" as Opposed to "Noir" (Was: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir Comic Book)

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 11 Nov 2008

    In a message dated 11/10/08 3:25:14 PM, gratefulbear@comcast.net writes:

    > John asked, "can one be joyfully existential?"  Good question!
    >
    > As a Christian existentialist (along the lines of Kierkegaard, Tillich, and
    > Flannery O'Conner), I think yes, you can be a joyful existentialist - at
    > times (not always!).  I believe "shit happens," but "grace happens" too.
    > Even Sartre said he had never experienced despair - he recognized the
    > absurdity of life, but he found such recognition empowering, not despairing.
    >
    > This is a great discussion!  "Existentialist" does not always equal "noir,"
    > but they do overlap at times.

    okay. but "grim existentialism" comes near enough to my definition of noir that it's synonymous

    John Lau

    ************** AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and all other Holiday needs. Search Now.
    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212792382x1200798498/aol?redir=http://searchblog.aol.com/2008/11/04/happy-holid ays-from-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)