Re: "Grimly Existential" as Opposed to "Noir" (Was: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir Comic Book)

From: Gratefulbear (gratefulbear@comcast.net)
Date: 10 Nov 2008

    John asked, "can one be joyfully existential?" Good question!

    As a Christian existentialist (along the lines of Kierkegaard, Tillich, and Flannery O'Conner), I think yes, you can be a joyful existentialist - at times (not always!). I believe "shit happens," but "grace happens" too. Even Sartre said he had never experienced despair - he recognized the absurdity of life, but he found such recognition empowering, not despairing.

    This is a great discussion! "Existentialist" does not always equal "noir," but they do overlap at times.

    Darrell

    Blog of the Grateful Bear: http://wildfaith.blogspot.com/

    ----- Original Message ----- From: <BaxDeal@aol.com> To: <rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 1:42 PM Subject: Re: "Grimly Existential" as Opposed to "Noir" (Was: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir Comic Book)