"Grimly Existential" as Opposed to "Noir" (Was: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir Comic Bo

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Nov 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, BaxDeal@... wrote:

    > In a message dated 11/10/08 9:20:29 AM, gbaeza@... writes:
    >

    > > I guess to me noir is more of a sensibility, a style, or an outlook
    > > instead of a mere collection of plot ingredients that must go into a
    > > given title so it can be stocked in the correct bookshelf.
    > >

    > yeah, me too. it's a worldview. a grimly existential one.
    although
    > "grimly" and "existential" is kind of redundant, isn't it? can one
    be joyfully
    > existential? philosophy wonks, weigh in

    Apparently yes, if Jean-Paul Sartre is any indication. He was a bon vivant. He seems to be the exception rather than the rule, though. I read somewhere that Robert Bresson was not unlike some of his characters. Now, there is is problem: what is joy? Perhaps an ascetic guy like Bresson felt joy. It may not be what I would call joy, but that doesn't negate its validity for him. You can't base it on external criteria.

    Best, and sorry for taking the bait and boring everybody with this type of speculation.

    mrt