Re: "Grimly Existential" as Opposed to "Noir" (Was: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir Comic Book)

From: Jeff Vorzimmer (jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 10 Nov 2008

    Again I think we have to rely on mathematics to answer the questions as to what is Noir. It might seem like a minor detail that noir films are black and white, but if you take the body of films that are generally accepted to be noir and you come up with criteria that fits 99% of these films, that then is a valid definition of noir. Easily 99% of the films generally considered noir are A) Black & white; B) Made from 1940-58 C) Involve crime in the story line. The crime element is essential to roman noir as well, although the time period runs 10+ years before and after film noir.

    Jeff