"Grimly Existential" as Opposed to "Noir" (Was: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir Comic Book)

From: Gonzalo Baeza (gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 10 Nov 2008

    I tend to agree with Jacques' definition of noir rather than yours, which strikes me as obsessive nitpicking. I did say criminality was secondary. What I didn't say is that it was absent from the book. In many of Scott Wolven's stories crime is a secondary element and yet I think he's as noir as they come. His collection of short stories, Controlled Burn, is probably the best one I've read so far this year. Likewise, the best noir novel I've read this year is Crazy Streak by John Gilmore and criminality is also secondary to its story.

    I guess to me noir is more of a sensibility, a style, or an outlook instead of a mere collection of plot ingredients that must go into a given title so it can be stocked in the correct bookshelf.

    Regards,

    Gonzalo.

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Thornton"