RARA-AVIS: Re: John Leonard, RIP

From: foxbrick (foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Nov 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue"
    <jacquesdebierue@...> wrote:

    > An important critic who occasionally dealt with our genre. He was 69
    > and died of cancer. I enjoyed his writing even when I didn't agree
    > with him, which was often.

    And I often did agree with him...he ranged widely, most recently as the monthly books critic for HARPER'S and as television critic for NEW YORK magazine, and he was one of the best in both fields (the former somewhat more competitive than the latter). A great admirer of Avram Davidson and Guy Davenport, among many others who have touched on cf and even hb cf (Davidson a lot more frequently and firmly than Davenport, but nonetheless).

    Todd Mason