RARA-AVIS: Re: PulpFest 2009

From: mikechomko (michaelchomko@rcn.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue"
    <jacquesdebierue@...> wrote:

    > Just curious... is there any money in the trade name "PulpCon"? I have
    > trouble conceiving this. And does the name of a conference work as a
    > trade name? If PulpCon is simply an abbreviation or nickname for Pulp
    > Conference (and the latter can probably be used by anybody, because
    > it's a mere description), the argument seems very feeble.

    Pulpcon is short for pulp convention. Is there any money in it? Not really, but there is some tradition involved. The first Pulpcon was held in, I think, 1970. So it has been around a pretty long time. However, of late, it has been lacking a lot of its old spirit. That's why my partners and I decided to split with the people who had been managing that convention and start our own Pulp Con.

    Thanks for your interest.

    Mike Chomko