RARA-AVIS: Re: Studs Terkel, RIP

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Nov 2008

    He will be missed. A terrific writer who could make any topic interesting. This year we have had several major losses in the cultural realm.

    Speaking of Farrell, is he much read these days? He should be. It seems that though we live in a burnished, softer, more goody-goody cary-cary world, underneath it is not very different from the tough Farrellian jungle... I confess to admiring his trilogy. I wonder if it would make the contemporary reader uncomfortable in this 21st century of ours. But then, if lots of people bought and read McCarthy's ultragrim The Road, Lonigan should be set for a comeback! As should Dos Passos's USA Trilogy. And where are the Dos Passos of our day?

    Best,

    mrt