RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled with pets?

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 27 Sep 2008

    Of course, any discussion of this topic would have to include Norbert Davis' Doan and Carstairs.

    Somehow he pulled off the notion of mixing comedy, hard-boiled crime and what is essentially a crime-solving Great Dane without once making me want to stick a finger down my throat.

    And I rather like Elvis Cole's on-again/off-again dalliances with the feral cat in his neighbourhood. It's a generally subtle bit of business, but it adds considerably to the tone of the stories.

    Now Pearl the Wonder Dog's another story... granted, there's something amusing about a big tough guy walking an annoying little dog, but like Crumley's characters' prolonged propensity for substance abuse, a little goes a long way, and a lot doesn't go anywhere.

    Kevin Burton Smith www.thrillingdetective.com