Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Walter Mosley

From: Michael Jeter (michael.damian.jeter@gmail.com)
Date: 29 Aug 2008

    I need to read more recent Rawlins Mysteries. You comment about unconventional family structures made me think oof Vachss' Burke and his "family."

    Vachss also makes the point that family does not depend on blood. Does anyone know who played with this notion first?

    Your mention of Mouse helped me remember a point I wanted to bring out. In a discussion of Parker, someoone said that Hawk and Spencer were two sides of the same man with Hawk representing a brutal "psychotic" side. I do not agree wiith this readiing of Spencer, and consider said readiing racist. Hawk does what he does, which clearly often involves hurting people, but I have
     never gotten the sense that he "enjoys" hurting people.

    OTOH, I seem to recall scenes where Mouse defiinitelly seems to enjoy hurting people, to a point that makes Easy wince. Soo, I think you could make a case that Easy/Mouse represent a yin/yang relationship, and could be twoo side of the same person.

    Michael Jeter