RARA-AVIS: Re: Italo-noir

From: jordan_mcpeek (jordan_mcpeek@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Aug 2008

    Being almost completely unaware of what's been happening in Italy or Italian crime fiction, I found this article interesting:

    http://www.zcommunications.org/znet/viewArticle/18449

    Jordan in Winnipeg

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Sean Shapiro <ssshapir@...> wrote:

    > Okay, let's discuss an actual work--I'm currently reading Crimini
    > published by Bitter Lemon Press, which is a collection of Italian
    > crime fiction, and it's quite good, several of the stories fit my
    idea
    > of noir. I'll be writing more about this when I finish the book, but
    > I'm finding myself more and more hooked with some of the newer
    Italian
    > crime authors--Reasonable Doubts by Gianrico Carofiglio was one of
    my
    > favorite reads from last year.
    >
    > --Dave
    > Italy seems to be producing some of the best hardboiled/noir books
    around.

    > Carofiglio's 'The Past Is Another Country' is one of my favourite
    books of the year. Really captures the slippery thrill of crime.

    > Carlo Lucarelli's 'Almost Blue' is one I would recommend. With its
    obsession with sound and its colourful killer I would say it's the closest I have seen a book come to an Italian 'giallo' (movie, that is).
    > Currently reading 'Death's Dark Abyss' by Massimo Carlotto. Punchy.
    As. Hell.

    > What impresses me about all these writers is their pace and
    economy. They're all confident enough in their material to forego the
    (sometimes tedious) flourishes that more literary fiction indulges in.