Re: RARA-AVIS: The Dark Knight

From: Nathan Cain (IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 18 Aug 2008

    SPOILER ALERT

    You've got a point. A sequel was pretty much a given until Ledger died. I don't know what they'll do with this particular incarnation of Batman now. Still, it was a grim ending for such a huge, mainstream movie. It could easily have ended with Batman swooping in and convincing Dent not to give in to his anger, but it didn't. The Joker won the battle, even if he didn't win the war. Batman had to sacrifice himself to prop up a lie. I think that's the aspect I find rather unsettling and nihilistic, the idea that the truth is so ugly it has to be hidden from people so they don't lose faith in an easily corrupted system. It's not the sort of message you see in big budget popcorn movies that often.